Basic Wedding Checklist

clip_image002There are a number of important things that you need to do prior to your wedding in church.

To help with your planning, here is a basic list of some of those things:

(1) Provisionally book the date when you would like to get married:

Please contact our Parish Administrator, Claire Morrell, on or leave a message with the Church Office on (0115) 922 9600. Claire will take your contact details (names, addresses, phone numbers, emails, etc.) and arrange for you to meet with one of our clergy team for an informal chat at a mutually convenient time.

At this meeting, we will talk you through the whole process and the various options available to you. Provided that you are able to provide specified evidence that both parties are EEA nationals, you will be provided with a number of documents: (1) a Wedding Application form (2) a copy of the full Wedding Service (3) a sample Service Sheet and (4) a Basic Church Wedding Planner. Where either party is unable to provide the necessary specified evidence, our clergy will advise you of the alternative procedures that you will need to follow. Please refer to the [WEDDINGS] or [WEDDINGS FAQ’s] pages as to why this has become necessary.

(2) Come along to a Sunday Service:

You might want to attend a Sunday service. This will enable you to meet the clergy, organist and verger, and view the church when it is full with people.

(3) Return your Banns of Marriage and Wedding Application Forms:

Once you have completed the two application forms, please return them to our Parish Administrator via or by post to the following address:

Parish Administrator
St Michael’s Church
Church Street

(4) Attend a number of Wedding Planning Meetings:

Once we have your completed forms, we will meet with you to help you with all the practical details concerning your wedding service – including the order of service, flowers, music, photography and videography, choir, bells, rehearsal dates and times, Best Man, Bridesmaid(s), Ushers, Witnesses etc.  These meetings will also provide you with an opportunity to ask and resolve any specific questions you may have. Do make sure that you put these dates in your diary!

At the first of these meetings you will both be requested to bring your Birth Certificate or current passport in order to provide evidence that you are EEA nationals.

The Immigration Act 2014 makes important changes to the law relating to the marriage of persons from outside of the European Economic Area (‘EEA’).

“With effect from March 1st, 2015, if one of the parties wishing to be married is a non-EEA national the parties will each have to obtain a Superintendent Registrar’s Certificate (SRC) to authorize the marriage (unless an Archbishop’s Special Licence has been granted). At this time it will cease to be lawful for the marriage of a non-EEA national to be solemnized after the publication of banns of marriage or on the authority of a common licence.

When application is made for banns to be published, all couples should be asked to provide specified evidence that both of them are EEA nationals. If the parties cannot provide specified evidence that they are both EEA nationals they will both need to obtain an SRC.”

(5) Book your places on the Marriage Preparation Course:

The marriage preparation course (not the same thing as wedding preparation) is designed to help you get the best start for your married lives together, and looks as issues such as: effective couple communication, dealing with conflict, making quality time for each other, and so on. The course runs in the spring of each year, and the Vicar will give you full details of the course at your first meeting.

(6) Make your various choices:

At subsequent meetings with the Vicar, you will need to make various choices concerning the following aspects of the service:


What music do you want played coming into church and when leaving?
Do you want this played on the organ, by a musical ensemble, or on a CD?

How many hymns do you want, and what is your preferred musical style?
(The usual number is either 2 or 3)

You may also wish to contact our Organist (David Hanford) directly for detailed advice concerning your musical choices. David has created a simple advice sheet which sets out the overall process, and seeks to assist you in making the most suitable choices for your personal situation: Music at Weddings Advice Sheet.

Please ensure that you have received approval for your musical choices from the Vicar prior to booking musicians, soloists and ensembles.

Bible Readings
Which Bible reading(s) do you want?
Have you chosen a friend or relative to read for you?

Other Readings
Do you also wish for a suitable poem or piece of prose to be read?
Have you chosen a friend or relative to read for you?

Please ensure that you have received approval for your choices from the Vicar in advance of the wedding.

What style of prayer would you like (formal or informal), and which prayers?

(The following items may involve additional fees or charges)

Do you wish the church organist to play for you?

Do you wish the church choir to lead the worship or sing an anthem for you?

Do you wish the church bells to be rung at the end of the service?

Do you wish a CD, MP3 or video to be played during the service, and/or do you plan to use musicians and singers who will need to go through the PA system?

(7) Pay the fees:

Please make sure that you have paid all of the fees associated with your wedding in advance of the rehearsal. Cheques and bank transfers (BACS) should be made payable to ‘Bramcote Parochial Church Council’. If paying by bank transfer (BACS) please enter your names in the notes field.

(8) Arrange a rehearsal date and put it in your diary:

Your wedding rehearsal will usually take place a week or ten days before your wedding, and will be arranged for a mutually convenient date and time at one of the Wedding Planning Meetings.

Whilst anyone may attend the rehearsal, everyone playing an active role within the service (eg, Best Man, Bridesmaids, Ushers, etc.) ought, ideally, to be there. It is also extremely helpful if the photographer is able to be present in order to view the layout of the church and to liaise with the Vicar as to how best to proceed on the wedding day.

(9) Submit your Banns Certificate(s):

If one or both of you live outside the parish then you should contact the Vicar of your local parish church and ask them to publish your banns of marriage. This will take place within three months of your wedding, and you may wish to attend.

Once the Banns have been called without objection you will need to collect the certificate issued by the minister and ensure that you hand it to the Vicar.

Please be aware, that without this certificate your marriage cannot proceed.
Your banns of marriage will also be published at Saint Michael’s.

(10) Submit your Order of Service for proof reading:

Please ensure that you have provided the Vicar with a draft copy of your Order of Service so that we can check it before you go ahead with printing.

Some Useful Contacts:

     Organist / Choir       David Hanford     (0115) 922 8580   (07484) 293990

     Bell Tower Captain   Tom Langton      (0115) 877 9439

     Flower Arranger       Hillary Brian        (0115) 939 2829

Because changes in the law and other determining factors are frequent, the information provided on this page is intended to be purely illustrative.
Please contact the Vicar for precise information.

Revision 1.08 (May 2022)