We’re delighted that you’re thinking of getting married, and provided you fully meet the various legal requirements for doing so, we will be very happy to conduct your wedding here at Saint Michael’s Parish Church, Bramcote.

Your Wedding Day is certainly one of the most important days in your life. 

Couple in Churchyard

We fully understand this, and want to make your wedding personal and memorable for you .

        Wedding at SM&AA 002Wedding at SM&AA 001

The special, and unique, ingredients of a church wedding are to be found in the spiritual dimension; wherein you ask God to bless your new life together, and look to him for help and guidance.  This will help you to grow together, as both God and your church will be there to help you on your journey.


(1) Qualifying Connection

In order to be married at Saint Michael’s either or both of you will need to satisfy one of the following conditions:

(a)  live within the ecclesiastical parish,
(b)  be an active member of the congregation with your name entered
      on the electoral roll, or
(c)  have some prior ‘Qualifying Connection’ with the parish.

A person has a ‘Qualifying Connection’ with the parish if that person:

  • was baptized in the parish. (This does not apply where the baptism formed part of a combined service of baptism or confirmation); or
  • had his or her confirmation entered in a church register book of a church or chapel in the parish; or
  • has at any time had his or her usual place of residence in the parish for at least 6 months; or
  • has at any time habitually attended public worship in the parish for at least 6 months;

or a Parent of that person has at any time during that person’s lifetime:

  • had his or her usual place of residence in the parish for at least 6 months; or
  • habitually attended public worship in the parish for at least 6 months;

or a Parent or Grandparent of that person was married in the parish.

In all cases involving church services – ie, coming to/going to/attending normal church services, baptism, confirmation or marriage – this applies only to Church of England services.

Read more about the Marriage Measure 2008

To view the Parish Boundary, please refer to the map on the [DIRECTIONS] page of this website, or else enter your home postcode into the following website which will show you precisely which ecclesiastical parish you live within.

The Vicar will be very happy to guide you through any of these requirements.

(2) The Immigration Act 2014

The Immigration Act 2014 makes important changes to the law relating to the marriage of persons from outside of the European Economic Area (‘EEA’). 

“With effect from March 1st, 2015, if one of the parties wishing to be married is a non-EEA national the parties will each have to obtain a Superintendent Registrar’s Certificate (SRC) to authorise the marriage (unless an Archbishop’s Special Licence has been granted).  At this time it will cease to be lawful for the marriage of a non-EEA national to be solemnized after the publication of banns of marriage or on the authority of a common licence.

When application is made for banns to be published, all couples should be asked to provide specified evidence that both of them are EEA nationals.  If the parties cannot provide specified evidence that they are both EEA nationals they will each need to obtain an SRC.”

So what is the first step you need to take?

Contact our Parish Administrator, Claire Morrell-Stone, on to arrange an informal conversation about the various possibilities which are open to you, and how you might set about planning for your big day.

Because changes in the law and other determining factors are frequent, the information provided on this page is intended to be purely illustrative. Please contact us for precise information.